Book your vacation
with Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel
Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel is the place for those who want a different accommodation in a unique hotel made of pure snow and ice. The hotel is surrounded by a quiet and relaxing atmosphere outside the city center – it is the perfect place for calmness and serenity.
The Igloo Hotel is located at Sorrisniva, about 20 km from Alta in idyllic surroundings on the banks of the Alta River.
The Igloo Hotel is the only one of its kind and it is about 2500 sqm large. It is the worlds most northern Igloo Hotel! Our first Igloo Hotel was built in 2000, every year we change theme and construction. All exterior and interior is made of snow and ice; rooms, the beds, even the glasses in the bar. The hotel has approximately 30 rooms, suites, ice gallery, and ice-chapel. The hotel is decorated with ice sculptures – beautiful artwork created by talented sculptors. Along with the pure white snow it creates a fairytale atmosphere inside.
How to get there
The best way to get to Alta is by flight from Oslo or Tromsø airport. When you arrive Alta you can be picked-up in Alta center (Scandic Hotel) by our minibus at 4pm. The transfer is approx. 20 minutes and must be pre-booked. After the check-in you will have plenty of time to explore the Igloo hotel and you will receive further practical information regarding your stay.
If you would like to take a taxi to us (there is no public transport) the cost is approximately NOK 500-700 depending on where you go from.
The location of the hotel is perfect to look for the northern lights and to explore the nature surrounding. In the evening you can enjoy a better meal in our restaurant “Laksestua”. The restaurant is open from 18.00pm. You can also join our activities when staying in Alta and at the Igloo Hotel.
Side by side with the Igloo hotel we have a modern service building with a luggage room where your bags are stored safely during your stay. The ice rooms contain only your bed, while other facilities like toilets, changing rooms, showers and sauna are in the warm service building to ensure your comfort. In the service building you can relax during your stay, this is the place to hang out when not being in the Igloo Hotel. This is a comfy building with living room, restaurant, reception and facilities as mention above. We have lockers for you to store your valuables. Phones and computers can be charged in the service building.
How to sleep in the Igloo Hotel
The temperatures inside the ice hotel remain constant between minus 4 and minus 7. Thanks to natural reindeer-hides, “mattresses” , sleeping-bags that keep you warm and pillow, you will have a comfortable night. We recommend to wear woolen underwear, hat, gloves and warm socks during the night, two layers are recommended for the perfect sleep. The sauna is heated every morning at 7:00 am before you can have a nice breakfast in the restaurant.
What can you do while staying in the hotel?
- Join our snowmobile safari, pick up in the center at 10:30am.
- Check-in Sorrisniva Igloo Hotel – explore the hotel (transfer at 4pm from Alta center if not joining activities)
- Lunch in our restaurant
- Winter walking and having fun outside in the snow. Kick-sled, toboggan run, hiking tracks and snowshoeing
- Relax in the warm building in front of the fireplace with a good book, or be a champion among your friends and familiy by winning a game from our selection
- Have a lovely dinner in the restaurant
- Take a walk into the Igloo Hotel, have a refreshing ice drink in the ice bar
- Enjoy the warm outdoor jacuzzi and sauna before or after dinner
- Join the reindeer sleighing at 9pm. Meet the reindeers, hear the Sami peoples stories and look for the northern lights, if you want better chances to see the northern lights; join our hunting for the northern lights with minivan at 9:00pm if staying at Sorrisniva/8:30pm if staying at another place
- We also have the “northern light walk” on the frozen river with good chances to see the lights if the aurora appears – headlights and map will be given to you in the reception
- Have a good night sleep in the snow and ice hotel
- Wake up after a good night sleep. Join the warm sauna before you start the day with our breakfast buffet
- Time for more activities or maybe a day with total relaxation?